Cost of living in Nepal (average, local)
100 rupees (NPR) = USD$1.15
- 45 minute bus ride NPR 30
- Taxi across capital NPR 100-150
- 1 litre of fuel NPR 125
- Non meat meal NPR (dal bhat) 100- 150
- 1 litre of clean water NPR 5-10
A chief chef gets paid 150 rupees per day, plus food.
Manual construction workers get paid NPR 300-500
The government states that the minimum wage in Nepal should be NPR 6,100 per month.
Middle income earnings in Nepal
- A restaurant waiter gets paid 100 rupees per day, plus 10% of the service charge added to meals, tips, and food.
- A taxi man earns NPR 200 – 300 per day after car rental (700-800) plus fuel.
- Public primary school teacher gets paid NPR 5,000 – 10,000 depending on area. Rural teachers get paid less.
- A starting bank staff member earns NPR 10,000 per month
- Secondary and tertiary teachers NPR 20,000 per month
- A starting level government worker gets NPR 7,000
Note: There are often hidden extras here, including monthly bonuses, food and fuel allowances.
Upper income salaries in Nepal
- A parliament member earns NPR 45,000 per month
- A bank manager can earn up to NPR 100,000 per month
- Senior telecommunications engineer NPR 100,000+
Government salaries in Nepal
- As of 2009 the Prime Minister of Nepal earns NPR 35,000 per month base + NPR 252,000 per month expenses/salaries for their team.
- Deputy prime minister expenses for their team NPR 175,000
- Minister expenses for their team NPR 132,000 (source original deleted by source)
Example of ministers salary system:
Expats, NGO and overseas workers
Here we go into the strange world of incredibly high earnings of overseas worker in Nepal.
The scale of NGO workers salaries here is dependent on the organization.
- UN messenger (grade 1) per year earns NPR 454,849
- A senior UN Admin (grade 7) per year earns NPR 2,253,914
- A senior UN national officer (grade 7) earns NPR 4,957,280